Thursday, March 12, 2009

Primera semana de clases

.




So a few days before Macalester begins spring break, I finally attended a class! Unfortunately, I did not learn one single thing, since the first week of classes is just talking about the classes and what we're doing this semester. Blah, blah, blah. I'm still trying to figure out my schedule though; it is quite difficult though, with scheduling of labs, classes on other sides of the city, and all that stuff. It looks like right now I'll be taking developmental pysch, personality pysch, vertebrate zoology, and my spanish class. I might add in this camp class where seriously, you get 3 credits to learn how to camp and then go camping :). We shall see, we shall see.

My classmates were pretty nice, especially in my developmental pysch class which contains only kinesiology majors (of course they are the coolest haha). But some students approached me and made me feel very welcome and all that, especially since I'm the only gringa in my classes. In the other classes that people in my program are taking there are way more gringos than Chileans, so I sort of lucked out in my classes as of right now...

Besides from school and trying to figure out the classes, the bus system, and the hard-to-understand Spanish, I've been trying to get to know the cities a little better. Last Saturday, our program went on a tour of Valparaiso. We went to Pablo Neruda's House, La Sebastiana, which was so gorgeous, the inside was decorated so uniquely and beautiful, full of bright bold colors. Unfortunately, we could not take pics inside the house. But the view was amazing; you could see the whole city and the ocean. Perfecto. We also walked around on 1 of 42 hills that are in Valpo. There are so many artists out sketching the hills, buildings, and people of the city, I'm starting to become inspired. Haha. But seriously, though, Valpo is so beautiful with all the bright colored buildings, and they structure in which they were built on these hills is absolutely spectacular. We finished the day by taking a boat ride around valpo and vina del mar, which was refreshing.

I also go my ear pierced again. It was the spur of the moment thing, after a very bad day of classes haha. It was only the ear though, other girls got nose and belly buttons pierced (I could have been way more impulsive:) )

This week a lot of people in my program bought tickets for the world cup qualifier for Chile against Uruguay. I'm so excited for my first soccer game. Hopefully it will absolutely insane. That's all for now. I hope all is well with all who read this!

1 comment:

  1. Alyssa,
    Your dad sent me a link so we could read your blog. Your adventure sounds wonderful. I love your pictures. Hope your sunburn feels better. It looks painful in the picture of you on the beach.
    Take care,
    Barb & Bernie Garcia

    ReplyDelete